Thursday, March 17, 2011

Another Note About Gluten Free Oreos

I received this email from Becky this morning:

I made GF Oreos last night. I used the original recipe that the GF girl adapted hers from (Kitchen Lab Homemade Oreo Cookies) because I didn't have sweet rice or teff flour on hand... I just had rice, tapioca and potato starch, so I went to the original source and used my GF flour mix (Bette Hagman's GF Mix) cup for cup and made them. They turned out SO good and LJ and Saxon love them... so that's a good thing, and I usually have everything on hand that I used last night. As for the filling... I still couldn't bring myself to use shortening, it always leaves a weird feeling in my mouth. I bought some Coconut Oil, it's not too expensive and I thought it would be nice to have on hand, but I didn't end up trying it. I followed their recipe for the filling but instead of using the shortening I used a 7 oz tub of Marshmallow Creme (I also doubled the recipe for the filling because I made a batch of GF and non-GF)... I think they turned out really great with that, they have a good consistency and taste, with no oily after taste. So I just thought I'd share that little experiment with you!!! From what I saw it doesn't look like the Marshmallow Creme had any soy in it. So anyways, I was pleased.

Oh I should also note that at first I thought the mix was WAY too dry, but the GF version said to just keep mixing so I did and eventually it did come together in a clump.

No comments:

Post a Comment